Joanna Buttercase

New Tricks

– As part of COP I’ve been having to learn how to use my lomokino camera

– It works by using 35mm film which is ran across the exposure area vertically, and a cogwheel is used to expose the film repeatedly at your desired speed (faster = more frames per second )

lomokino-60bf_600.0000001322523765

 

THE PROCESS 

Shooting

I had 3 rolls of film (200 iso) and tried 3 techniques 

1) Simply filmed as I had with the digital cameras

2) Double exposed – Exposure 1 Bhakti Exposure 2 Projection

3) Double exposed – Exposure 1 Projection Exposure 2 Bhakti

Key Point to remember = second exposure shows through dark areas of first exposure

– I then took it to be developed, asking for the film NOT to be cut

PROBLEMS

– When I got the film back it was very underexposed

– The film I hadn’t double exposed was actually almost blank

 

Digitalising 

Process of getting the images onto the computer

– Scanning the entire film roll into the computers in digital print

– James helped me colour correct and lighten the film

– Ended up cutting it to speed up the process

PROBLEMS

– Initially didn’t want to cut the film, but this meant using the glass plate instead of the negative scan holders to hold the film in place which created a strange digital glare, which is why I decided to cut the film.

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 15.00.25

– When importing the film you reset the colours etc (mine in particular started off very green!) on the first import which should then work for the rest of the film (if the exposure is consistent etc which mine was) however each area I tried to import looked COMPLETELY different , but James showed me how to fix this in photoshop as best as possible, and actually in the final film the colour changes do fit.

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 15.06.35

 

Colour editing in scanner 

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 15.02.53

Selecting different areas of film (you can see its very underexposed!)

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 15.32.15

 

Different areas of the film scanning in with identical presets

– Scanning took much much longer than I anticipated due to all the problems, and getting a high quality scan is very slow!

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 14.33.22

– Cutting the film myself although I used gloves did get the film quite dusty

 

Creating an Image Sequence 

In order for Premiere to play the footage I needed to make it into an image sequence 

– Opened all the scanned files in photoshop

– Checked the average image size and created a new canvas with the right dimensions to fit them all

– Created one (very) long image stitching all the scans together

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 18.54.14

A small section of the humungous thing

– Used the marquee tool to check the size of an individual frame

– Created a second new canvas of this size

– Continued to use the marquee tool to keep a consistent selection size

– Then copied each frame across to the new document

– Flatten the image and save as a sequential number (001 -> 198 as 198 frames in total)

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 19.58.38

PROBLEMS

– It took me a long time to figure out the best way to create the image sequence

– I spent a lot of time tweaking the position of each set of frames so that they lined up

– The images although fairly similar colour-wise are not completely consistent which I need to bare in mind for future use of the lomokino!

 

Editing 

– Import the file to Premier and select ‘image sequence’

– Premier then automatically recreates the files as video rather than a set of images

– Took play speed down to 25% speed

– Recreated sequence using every other frame as due to double exposure the images appeared to constantly be rolling up the screen horizontally

– Reduced this second import to 50% speed due to the lower frame count

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 19.25.30

– Done!

PROBLEMS

– The first set of images (as mentioned above) imported ended up looking very jolty due to the double exposure, the second is a bit smoother but seems to be positioned wrong; the frame shows the bottom of one frame in the top half of the screen, and the top of another frame in the bottom half

005

 

Single exposure 

189

Double exposure with incorrect framing 

– Had to re-create the image sequence several times to find the correct way to showcase the footage

– Because of the double exposure not matching up exactly, the images of Bhakti all have big black lines through them where the edge of the second exposures are, which is not ideal.

 

 

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 18.57.06

 

Black line through centre of image 

 

THINGS LEARNT

– How the physicality of film works

– The patience involved with traditional methods!!

– How to take a set of negatives through to becoming a piece of video

– When double exposing shoot darker image FIRST

– 200 iso film needs more light than normal with the lomokino

NEXT STEPS

– Try shooting a film with a higher ISO

– See if I can create a double exposure without the lines !

– Experiment with being a bit more scripted with the shooting

– Try a non-double exposed film in daylight just to observe more ‘standard’ results

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on November 17, 2014 by in Practical, Year 3 PPP.
%d bloggers like this: