– I made a showreel as part of PPP in second year, but I really want to strengthen it over the course of third year so I can think about sending it out to try and get commissions and / or generally attract interest to my vimeo, which I’m hoping to develop as part of PPP.
Things to do:
– ONLY include your best work (if its not your best don’t include it just for varieties sake!)
– Try and get a sense of yourself into it
– Keep it short; 1-2 minutes max
– Start AND end with strongest work ; really consider what makes up your opening and closing shot
– Leave room for discussion ; give a flavour, don’t give everything away
– Check company guidelines, include a cover letter, and LABEL your showreel
– GET FEEDBACK on your showreel
– Edit your showreel according to your desired position
Eg Director = show yourself directing people, working with a crew, organising the team etc
– HAVE YOUR SHOWREEL AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE
Meaning; vimeo, blogs, tumblr, on your phone, your iPad etc for ANY opportunity
Things NOT to do:
– Assume that whoever is watching will sit through the whole thing
They may watch 10 seconds, and already have made their mind up
– Add ‘niche’ (weird) music
You don’t want to make it about whether they agree with your music taste!
– Remove all sound from clips; this is a key part of your skill base!
Showreel should feel like a self contained, progressive piece of work in its own right. There should be pace and progression evident, and any key information about each project should be included.